Giulio Brunetta, born in Conegliano in 1906, graduated in 1929 in Civil Construction Engineering at the University of Padova. In 1932 he was certified to actively perform the profession of architect. After a few years as intern with the Military Engineers in Verona and Bolzano, he finally settled in Padua in 1935.
In the same period, apart from being a freelance professional with numerous residential buildings, public houses, hospital and holy buildings, he also began working with the University of Padova. In 1939 he became head of the Building Projects Office and then, in 1945, he became University Technical Office Manager, a position he held until 1977 and where he was able to guide the highly intense building development of the University of Padova of that period.
It gave him the opportunity to design and build institutes, laboratories, clinics, canteens, university colleges, not only in Padua but also in the separate centres in Bressanone, Legnaro and Verona, as well as working on the recovery and restoration of the university’s historic buildings.
At the same time, between 1936 and 1976, he had a very active teaching career at the Engineering Faculty, holding the chair of “Technical Architecture” and “Technical Architecture and Town Planning”, and at the specialisation school in Hospital Hygiene and Techniques within the Faculty of Medicine, holding the chair of “Hospital Architecture and Building, Hospital Technology and Equipment”.
In 1977, given his fame in university building, he was called on to coordinate the design of the University City in Tiaret in Algeria. On 16thDecember 1978, while travelling to the country’s capital, he died together with seven colleagues from the University of Padova and two members of the crew in the Leonessa airplane disaster.
Major university works (dates from the academic publication annuals):
- University Youth House in Bressanone (A.Y. 1953/54)
- Obstetrics Clinic (A.Y. 1956/57)
- Nerve and Mental Disease Clinic (A.Y. 1958/59)
- Polyclinic (A.Y. 1961/62)
- Ion accelerator laboratory in Legnaro (A.Y. 1961/62)
- Organic Chemistry Institute in via Marzolo (A.Y. 1961/62)
- University College “G.B. Morgagni” in via S. Massimo (A.Y. 1964/65)
- Student House “L. Meneghetti” S. Eufemia (A.Y. 1965/66)
- Faculty of Education in Palazzo di Corte Capitaniato (A.Y. 1965/66)
- University College “Carlo Ederle” in via Ognissanti (A.Y. 1965/66)
- Extension to the Liviano in via Accademia (A.Y. 1965/66)
- Faculty of Economics and Commerce in Verona (A.Y. 1965/66)
- Faculty of Political Science in Palazzo Dottori in via del Santo (A.Y. 1967/68)
- Electrotechnical and Electronic Institute in via Gradenigo (A.Y. 1967/68)
- Engineering Biennial in via Paolotti (A.Y. 1971/72)
- University canteen in Palazzo Orsato in via S. Francesco (A.Y. 1971/72)
- Microbiology Institute in via Gabelli (A.Y. 1971/72)
- Geography Institute in Palazzo Wollenborg in via del Santo (A.Y. 1971/72)
- Inter-chemical Centre in via Marzolo (A.Y. 1973/74)
- Agrarian Faculty in via Gradenigo (A.Y. 1973/74)
- Language Institutes in Verona (A.Y. 1973/74)
- Restoration and extension to Palazzo Maldura in via B. Pellegrino (A.A 1975/76)
- Department of Mechanical Engineering in via Venezia (A.Y. 1975/76)